Now I must confess that I totally jacked this recpie from a combination of a video I saw on MercyForAnimals.org and the buffalo wings recipe I saw on the back of the bottle of Louisianna Hot Sauce, but it’s totally awesome. My wife and I thoroughly enjoy this recipe.
So here’s a recipe that I like, it’s a buffalo tempeh sandwich. It’s a little spicy but it’s much more savory than spicy.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 package of tempeh
- 2 tablespoons of dairy-free margarine
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce (I like louisianna hot sauce for this)
- Your favorite sandwich bread (when I make nice sandwiches I like to make my own bread for it, but kaiser rolls and stuff like that work, too)
- 1 tomato, sliced for sandwiches
- enough romaine lettuce to make sandwiches with
- Veganaise or other vegan-friendly mayo
- Enough oil to fry in, I usually just fill the skillet until the oil is about a half inch deep.
Now comes the cooking. But first, this dish puts up a lot of spice smoke that can make you cough, so make sure you’ve got a well-ventilated area and you’ve got your fan going.
- Melt your butter, and wisk it into your hot sauce, and put those in a bowl that’s big enough to marinade your tempeh in.
- Cut your tempeh into pieces about the size of two of your fingers (1 just one of mine, haha)
- Stick the tempeh in the bowl with the hot sauce and margarine and shake it up a bit, let it sit for like 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat your skillet before you put anything in it. Remember that hot oil always goes into a hot pan, and that cold food always goes into hot oil. That’ll help your food from mushing, and it’ll help your food from sticking to your pan.
- Take the marinaded tempeh and put it into the hot oil, let it fry for 3 minutes before touching it, or it may fall apart. Once the first 3 minutes is up, try turning it over. Cook the tempeh until it is brown all over, then sit the cooked strips on a paper towel to drain all the oil off.
- Make your sandwiches, and enjoy.
Tempeh, while it sounds weird, is actually really good. It’s really crunchy and it has a really cool nutty flavor that I just can’t get enough of. I like to grill it and fry it and bake it.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, please comment with any suggestions or modifications. I’m always looking to improve my recipes.